Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tulip Time Run 10K and the week of 5/30


Monday 4/30 – 59:52 time, 6.18 miles, 9:41 pace, Avg HR 141
Ran 6 miles at RPCC.  Ran in the trusty old Trail Gloves… boy that was nice and familiar.
I got 4.5 miles in and was feeling pretty awesome and was thinking about doing a 4th loop for a total of 7 miles but the sky turned black… I actually started the 4th loop but it started to down pour really heavy and it was lightning very close by. Did I say VERY close by?  I actually was a little scared of getting hit so I turned around on the trail and headed back for the tree cover and back to the van.  Super fun!!

Tuesday 5/1 – 56:57 time, 6.52 miles, 8:44 pace, Avg HR 143, Max HR 177
Pace work at Hope College.  2 mile warm up and then did 4x 800 at a 3:10-3:15 pace.  This went really well.  I think it was intense enough but not crazy over the top.  2 mile cool down.  Felt great!!

Wednesday 5/2 – 52:58 time, 5.14 miles, 10:18 pace, Avg HR 134
RPCC trail.  Nothing special just a lazy trail run.

Thursday 5/3 – 24:02 time, 2.53 miles, 9:29 pace
Today sucked really bad… it was super hot out in the 80’s and very humid.  My 9yr old had a practice 5k that I did with her and her Girls On The Run group for school.  It was more of a Run/Walk. 
I brought her to piano lessons right afterwards and did a quick 2.5 miles while waiting for her.  I felt really slow and didn’t feel right at all.  Not sure what was going on… dehydration or what.

Friday 5/4
Totally blew off running today… still wasn’t feeling right from yesterday.  Plus I didn’t want to push it with the 10k tomorrow.

Saturday 5/5 – 42:40 time, 6.32 miles, 6:47 pace, Avg HR 176, Max HR 184
Wasn’t so sure about this run today… after feeling like crap the past two days I wasn’t sure I wanted to push this race.  I felt ok when I showed up so I figured I would just start running and see how I felt. 
I showed up pretty early to watch my sister in-law and niece run the 5k.  My brother was running the 10k as well.
I walked up to the front of the starting line and chatted with my neighbor for a few minutes and then we were off.  I held back a little bit starting out, I didn’t want to get to carried away like I did with the 5k.  My first mile wasn’t to bad 6:55 but I knew I had to average 6:45 to hit my goal of 42:00.  I wasn’t to worried at this point as I knew that I could still make up for it.  Mile 2 came in at 6:42… right where I want to be, perfect!  I was feeling pretty good and I almost felt like I wasn’t working hard enough.  It was a real comfortable pace.  Mile 3 I slowed up a bit at 6:49… same with mile 4.  I now was kind of worrying a bit that I needed to make up some time.  These were not even or negative splits for sure.  With out knowing ahead of time, mile 5 was all up hill, so this mile was not where I was going to make up time.  7:04 was my pace.  CRAP!!
Coming around the corner though heading into mile six, it was all down hill to the finish line.  Ok, I can kick it hard and make up some time.  That mile ended up being 6:30 but I knew looking at clock that I wasn’t going to make the 42 minutes.  I still kicked it with all I had that last ¼ mile at a 6:13 pace.
My time ended up being 42:40, missed it by 40 seconds L.  I am not sure if the race course was off in distance or my watch but my Garmin read 6.32 miles and a 10k is 6.21.  Either way it wouldn’t have taken me 40 seconds to run that last .10 of a mile.
I ended up 13th overall and 2nd in my 35-39 age group.  There were 2000 people running both events and I would guess about 500 did the 10k.  I was pretty happy with my run but now I am ready to log some miles to get ready for this 50 miler in the end of August.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go ahead and email me.
      jeffvanderkooi@yahoo.com

      Delete